Saturday, October 15, 2011

Livestrong, Team Stanley!

I feel like we ran a marathon today. Oh wait, we did! (If by "run," you mean walk, and by "marathon," you mean 5K.) Today marked the 3rd year that Team Stanley has participated in the Lance Armstrong Foundation's Livestrong Challenge in Austin in honor of Bret's battle with cancer.

Honey and I drove to Austin yesterday afternoon, while Ryan planned to come up this morning because he had to work late yesterday and also because we didn't want to have to leave the dogs overnight. I should have taken a picture of Mom's car; you would have thought we were leaving town for 3 weeks. Staying in a hotel with two babies is serious business.

The trip to Austin was not without an unexpected detour. Before we left, I spent close to an hour putting new carseat covers on the boys' new-to-us big-boy carseats (thanks, Jansens!!)... and we weren't 45 minutes outside of Houston when Grant projectile puked all. over. the. seat. And himself. And the brand-spankin' new cover. Bless his heart. I'm still not sure what happened... I think he must have gagged on the toy he was playing with, because it came out of nowhere and never happened again (nor has it happened before).  

We survived the night and were up and out of the hotel by 7:15 along with our dear friends, the Vitullis, who joined us on Team Stanley.


Matt, Amanda, Miles & Addison
We met up with the rest of Team Stanley just in time for a group photo, and then it was off to the starting line.


This was my first year to do the race -- in 2009, Ryan and I were in Maryland for a wedding, and last year I was pregnant and cheered on the rest of the team from the sidelines.

The starting line was a sea of humanity, and the race clock was already at 5 minutes before we ever crossed the line... so we decided since our chances at setting a record were blown, we might as well walk it. (Are you buying this??)




That's a lot of stroller right there.
We finished the race with a time of *mumble mumble* and then, of course, it was time for more photos.

Morgan, Reid, Honey & Grant

Ryan & Grant

Honey & Grant

Aunt Sassy & Reid

Grant getting acquainted with his (or Reid's) future girlfriend
 
Reid & Honey

Team Stanley's founder, manager and mascot

Despite the hills and pushing close to 100 extra pounds (40 lbs of stroller + almost 50 lbs of baby), we had a great time and can't wait to do it again next year.

And most importantly, we were so glad we could be there to show our support for the heart and soul of Team Stanley, Uncle B and Aunt Sassy. We love y'all!


Aunt Sassy, Reid, Uncle B & Grant


1 comment:

  1. So sorry to have missed it! If I'd have known you were here Friday night I would have swung by your hotel! Boo!

    ReplyDelete