Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sunday stations

Vaccines are not fun. And neither are fussy twins. Thank God the weather held up again on Sunday so we could distract them with wagon rides and outside time.

First, before I forget... Ryan sent me this picture from their wagon ride:


That would be Houdini Reid, who wriggled out of his seatbelt and rode standing up for who knows how long, until Ryan turned around to check on them and saw the joyride in progress. Awesome.

Now back to our regularly scheduled post. Ever since these two were tiny babies and I was home with them by myself all day, I have thought of our time in "stations": 5 minutes on the activity mat, 5 minutes in the bouncy seats, 5 minutes on the Boppys, and before I knew it, it was naptime and I could exhale. 

That concept hasn't really changed all that much; now it's just 2 minutes on their big-boy chairs, 45 seconds crying because someone fell, 30 seconds with their toy cars, 3 minutes with balls, 5 minutes with books, 5 minutes on their rockabyes, 3 minutes crying because Brother took his toy away, etc.  Outside time is so nice because they can spread out and not antagonize each other (as much) and there's so much fun stuff to explore and no scary-but-enticing things like brick fireplace hearths and end tables with sharp corners at eye level. The time really does fly when we're in the backyard.

For real... what am I going to do when it's 110 degrees outside this summer?? Die, that's what. Can 18-month-olds play outside by themselves??? (I kid, I kid!)

Anyway, back to Sunday afternoon: Reid entertained himself by pushing the wagon in a circle in the driveway for a good 10 minutes...


... while Grant played on their playscape and with their swings:


We pulled out their cozy coupes for even more fun, and you would have thought it was Christmas all over again.

  
Ryan stood at the top of the driveway and gave them a big running push, and I stood at the gate to catch them before they ran into it head-on. It just might have been the most exhilaration Reid has ever experienced in his life:


Grant too, but his hair wasn't nearly as demonstrative:




Then they played house for 10 minutes or so. (See?? Stations...)

{Reid L, Grant R}
{G}
{R}
{G}
{Reid at the window, Grant at the door}
{R}
{G}

 They found the rose bush again...

{Reid}
{Grant}
but quickly lost interest once they realized the petals weren't at all tasty. Then it was on to sticks, and best of all, playing in Daddy's truck.


{Reid}
{Grant}
{Reid}

Trust me when I say there was kicking and screaming involved when it was time to go inside. 

Monday morning came all too soon, but the bright side is that Ryan and I are taking Tuesday off for one last hurrah before he starts his new job next week. Rodeo, here we come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment