Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Seeing pink

Our world got turned upside-down (in the best possible way!) this summer when we found out on June 19 that I was pregnant. I had some suspicions due to the fact that I had been falling asleep in front of my computer at 8:00 at night for the past few days, and a test on the last day of the boys' swimming lessons confirmed it. 

We raced home from swim lessons that day and made a quick stop at Jo-ann's so I could get some fabric and shirts to work on a little surprise announcement for Ryan. When he got home from work that evening, this is what greeted him:


{Reid L, Grant R}

Sure, it's all fun and games now…

I had my first ultrasound around six weeks, with Ryan and the boys in attendance. The rest of the summer was a doozy, with my all-day/everyday nausea and vomiting kicking in by week seven… not to mention the fatigue that I somehow managed to avoid when I was pregnant with the boys.

Because of my age, I was able to have some genetic testing done around 11 weeks that could also tell us the baby's sex. We decided to have a little fun with it and threw a small gender reveal party for family in Dayton on Labor Day weekend. I had my nurse call a baker with the results, and she whipped up some cupcakes with an appropriately-colored center.

We asked everyone to wear either pink or blue based on their predictions. Ryan and I were both in blue (I was 100% sure it was a boy), and the boys were in pink since they had said from the very beginning that it was a sister. Overall the attendees were pretty evenly split, with blue receiving maybe one or two more votes than pink. We got Mimi and Poppy on Skype from Georgia and then it was time for the big reveal!

The boys each got a cupcake and proceeded to take what felt like a sweet forever to dig in.



Grant decided to really go for it and stuck his whole face in the icing for a second…



Then, after some impatient prompting from the crowd, they both stuck their fingers into the middle of the cupcake to get to the good stuff.



Grant persevered, and when he pulled out his finger…



…PINK!
  

Obviously I was a little emotional…



And so was the daddy.

We made sure the boys understood what it meant, and then made sure everyone in Georgia could see the filling.



Reid took the cupcake over to Tennie to give her a close-up view:



Our little family of four-and-a-half:



The next morning, the boys came and got in bed with me and we were talking about the party. Grant said, "Mommy, I sticked my finger in that tuptake and when I pulled it out, it was PINK and everyone clapped and was so proud of me!" Sweet, sweet brother. I will never forget it as long as I live. 



Pink. I swear I still can't believe it. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG this made me cry!!!! I'm enjoying catching up on your posts and can't wait to see you guys in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete