Friday, October 11, 2013

A new chapter

This week marked a momentous turning point for our family: We started a new chapter with me as a stay-at-home mom. Or almost, anyway. I'm still working 15 hours per week for the time being, but I'm cramming it into naptime, after the boys are in bed, and for part of the day on Thursdays, when they will continue going to Susu's. 

We didn't do anything super special or earth-shattering with our newfound freedom, but I still want to remember this first week so I'm recording it here.

We hit the grocery store on Monday morning (and I was shocked by how GLORIOUSLY uncrowded it was) and then played for a loooong time outside, enjoying the amazing fall weather. We sat down for lunch together and these sweet boys were just so excited to be eating next to their mama. At one point Reid actually picked up his sippy cup, reached out and tapped my glass with his, and said "CHEERS!" I got tears in my eyes as I thought, "If you only knew, baby boy." That evening my friend Andrea and the boys' friend Aubrey came over to play and have dinner.

On Tuesday we visited Tennie (which the boys love and look forward to every week) and then ran to the mall to pick up a book for Sassybaby, who will be arriving any day now. These sweet bookworms had the best time and ended up with a couple of dinosaur books of their own, too:

{Reid L, Grant R}

We played in the garage for a little bit once we got home. This is Reid putting "gas" in his truck using the bicycle tire pump -- smart little cookie:




On Wednesday I was supposed to start a new young moms' Bible study, but as we were getting ready to head out the door, Grant threw up. He had been complaining about his stomach and mouth hurting since Monday night and kept saying "I frow up," but by this point I honestly thought he was just crying wolf. He sure proved me wrong. But weirdly, he immediately felt better after he got sick and was back to 100% in no time. (It's amazing how much less stressful illness is when we're not having to juggle Ryan's and my work schedules!) Anyway, we ran out for some Gatorade and then stopped by the neighborhood playground for over an hour to enjoy the cooler temperatures.

{Poor pitiful Grant}
Yesterday the boys went to SuSu's -- they were so excited that their new Lego Crocs that Honey got them months ago finally fit! Morgan came over to play yesterday evening and then kept the boys for a couple of hours for me this morning so I could run into the office to get a new laptop.

{New Crocs! Grant L, Reid R}
And finally, today was an extra fun day too. We headed to Dayton to have lunch with Honey, and as we were leaving her office we spotted a backhoe at work next to the parking lot. The boys are obsessed with anything tractor/bulldozer-related, so of course we had to stop and watch. After a few minutes, the sweet foreman came over and took the boys' hands so they could get closer to the action, and they were in heaven. He asked them if they wanted to be backhoe operators when they grow up, and Reid nodded so eagerly I thought his head was going to pop off.


And the fun didn't stop there! The school next door to Honey's office was celebrating Fire Prevention Week with a visit from the fire department, so we ran over and let the boys explore the firetruck for a few minutes. They were only moderately impressed, though, because what they really wanted was for a fireman to jump in and drive them around. Tough customers, these two. 

{Reid L, Grant R}
 

This week we also read a ton of books, built several Lego towers, played trains for hours, worked a few puzzles, constructed some awesome Mr. Potato Heads, said "Mommy, it's a byoo-ful (beautiful) day" a few dozen times, sang so many songs (OH, how I love the fact that they can sing songs now -- that could be a whole separate post!) ... and I counted my blessings every single day.

Words can't express how grateful I am to have the opportunity to stay home with these boys for at least the next few years until they start school. It has been the #1 desire of my heart since they were born, and Ryan and I have worked hard over the past 2 1/2 years to make it a reality.

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the house clean and have dinner on the table when Ryan gets home -- and my patience (or lack thereof, at times) could use a LOT of work -- but at least I've got the biggest part down: loving these boys and being thankful for every minute I get to spend with them instead of at work. 

I know it's not for everyone, but it's everything I could want!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, friend! So envious of your lovely little life at home with those precious boys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete