Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's raining twins!

The first part of June is always my busiest time at work, so after wrapping up my big project on Friday I was SO excited to have the weekend with all my boys ahead of me. Colleen came over Friday evening to say good-bye since she is heading back home to Georgia (and then on to Spain) after a year of living in Houston. While she was here we realized that she had also been over at our house on the exact same weekend in 2010 (more on that in a second). 

Saturday morning brought something I had been looking forward to for several weeks. I'm a member of a local Moms of Multiples group, and another mom and I set up a playdate for a few twin moms who live in our area. We met at a nearby elementary school playground at 10 a.m., and it was lots of fun to get to know other moms and admire each other's adorable babies. And y'all. We were a SIGHT! We had 5 moms and 9 twins ranging from 3 months to 8 months old: Reid and Grant, Ethan and Wyatt (my dear friend Melissa's boys), Kaitlyn and Jake, Spencer and Phoebe, and Peyton (sister Sophie stayed home with Dad). And you can't even imagine the amount of gear our group required: multiple double strollers the size of small cruise ships, carseats galore, enough blankets to carpet a football field, and on and on. The boys and I lasted just over an hour because (1) I had woken them up early from a nap and (2) even under the playground's big covered area, it was H-O-T outside -- so all 3 of us were fussy.

Here are a couple of photos from the playdate. Of course my children would be the ones not even looking in the direction of the camera. And if you're wondering why I didn't hold them or sit them up for the picture, it's because they were finally content just laying there and you're nuts if you think I don't know better than to leave well enough alone by now!

Baby Central!

My pink-cheeked playdaters... ALWAYS with their hands on each other! (Reid L, Grant R)

Saturday night our besties Candi and Jeremy came over to hang out and see these giant babies. They got to the house just before bathtime bearing our favorite: fajitas! (Side note: my two best friends are both on fabulous beach vacations this week. Amy is in Jamaica and Candi and Jeremy are heading to Cancun. Jealous!) We love you, Jansens -- Houston misses you!

Jansens with Grant (L) and Reid
(This is a terrible photo of Reid but it's the only one I got of the 4 of them.)

Ryan had work to do today, both for his job and to finish getting our house ready for the kitchen renovation that starts tomorrow, so the boys and I headed to Dayton for a little swim at Honey and Big's. The water was much warmer this time (hello, 100+ degree temperatures in June), and they did great... or at least better than Round 1.

Finally, today is a special day in the Wolf House. It was on Saturday, June 12, 2010 that I found out I was pregnant! Colleen had stayed at our house on Friday night and she and Ryan were hanging out in the living room when I just decided on the spur of the moment to take a pregnancy test, unbeknownst to them. After 10 months of negative tests, I honestly didn't think it would actually be positive; little did I know just how (doubly!) wrong I was. I will never forget how hard it was to keep a straight face when I walked out of that bathroom so they wouldn't suspect anything.

I wanted to do something special to tell Ryan, so after Colleen left I ran out and bought a Father's Day card intended for an expectant dad. When I gave it to him, I told him it was a Father's Day gift from Miller and Rocco and in typical Ryan fashion, it was like pulling teeth to get him to open it since Father's Day was still a week away. I think I made up some fib about how he had to open it right then because it contained a gift that was going to expire. When he finally did, he read the card with confusion on his face and looked up to see me holding the pregnancy test.



I love thinking back to how clueless we were about what God had in store for us. The rest, as they say, is history. Or better yet -- the rest is really just beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment